Sixty-four Year Old Female with Fibromyalgia and Panic Disorder

In Sherrie Tarble's words, taken From Conquering Yeast Infections, Chronic Illness and the Candida Connection by S. Colet Lahoz 

Ten years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a disease I had never heard of. The doctor told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was that it wasn’t fatal and he thought I would handle it very well. The bad news was that some days I would wish it was fatal.

Because I watched my diet and got plenty of exercise I was hoping for the best. For the first five years I managed very well by paying close attention to my diet, working out at least three times a week at the gym and getting a short extra nap each day. Then overnight things changed and I developed a new set of symptoms. I was so tired all the time, had serious pain across my shoulder blades, chest and lung muscles. My claustrophobia problems and hot flashes, which I had experienced for years, increased tremendously. The hot flashes lasted anywhere from five to six minutes and were very exhausting. My claustrophobia made it difficult to fly or use an elevator. I had read everything I could find about fibromyalgia but couldn’t find anything in the books that related these symptoms to fibromyalgia. I felt like my health was going slowly downhill, but my doctor was unable to find anything wrong at that time. I struggled along for two years until fate took a hand one night.

It was Easter Day and I had the whole family over for dinner. It was wonderful to see everyone but very tiring. I went to bed early and was awakened several hours later with painful abdominal cramping that lasted all night. I went to the doctor first thing the next morning. The doctor ordered a CT of the colon, which I had three days later. The colon was okay, but the CT had gone high enough to scan my stomach and discovered a tumor growing there. The doctor watched the tumor grow over the next two years but didn’t suggest having it removed.

Meantime, I was still having hot flashes, pain across my shoulders, was constantly tired, and the new problem of a funny odor in my armpits. After much thought I realized that the smell was yeast just like opening a fresh loaf of bread.

My doctor retired, and I found a new doctor who was alarmed that the tumor hadn’t been removed. I went to see the surgeon and a date for the surgery was set.

The surgery went well and I was home in five days. However, before I left the hospital I started having panic attacks. I had lost part of my stomach with the tumor so my eating capacity was greatly diminished. My eyes were grainy and sore, my throat was sore and I had great difficulty swallowing. Then my hair started falling out.

I was happy to be home and sure that all the symptoms would stop once I was comfortable at home. To my surprise, the panic attacks increased and I went to see my doctor. My panic attacks were about things that had not bothered me previously. I suddenly became afraid when it got dark out at night, or I would be afraid to be in a certain room. I developed a fear of automatic sliding glass doors in storefronts. I guess I thought the doors wouldn’t open when I wanted to leave and I might be locked in. I handled this problem by staying away from stores with automatic sliding glass doors. For someone who has always had a strong sense of well being, this was all tough to cope with. Apparently, nothing was wrong with me that he could find. He suggested a medicine to help with the panic while I was recovering from the surgery. The doctor tried Paxil, Valium, Buspar and several other medications. They all had a bad effect on me and I was getting desperate. My sleep pattern was disrupted and I had barely slept two hours per night for over two weeks. My husband and I made several trips to urgent care for eye and throat problems.

My doctor finally suggested that I see a psychiatrist. I remember thinking at the time that this was the last straw, now they think it’s all in my head. I made an appointment and talked over an hour with the psychiatrist, and was then offered another pill. Here we go again. I took one pill that night and slept for two hours before I awakened shaking like a leaf all over, and with muscle spasms from the top of my head to my mid chest. I lay in bed like that all night and half the next day. It was Saturday and hard to get help by phone. I finally reached the pharmacist at Regions Hospital who looked up the pill in his book and told me not to take another one. When I felt better, I disposed of that pill along with all the other medications that hadn’t helped me. I finally went back to my doctor for one more visit. He said he couldn’t do anything for me so I asked for a referral to see Colet Lahoz, RN, MS, LAC, at the East West Clinic. All this happened in a matter of four weeks.

Going to the East West Clinic was the beginning of healing for me. All the medications had been dumped and I was ready to start fresh. At my first appointment, Colet ran a test on me and discovered that I had a yeast infection called Candida. I was started on a special diet that would not add to the yeast problem and a detoxification program to treat the yeast infection and remove the yeast from my system. I had several appointments with Colet for hypnotherapy to deal with the panic attacks and got off to a good start. The hypnotherapy was followed by acupuncture to deal with any symptoms that came up as we went along. With the panic attacks over, it has been easier dealing with the other symptoms. It has now been ten months since I started treatment with Colet and I haven’t felt this good in many years. I am almost symptom free as a result of the detox program. A wonderful side benefit of the diet part of this program is the loss of 63 pounds (without trying).